Friday, June 12, 2009

Update on events

Ibis lost his job....again. I tell you, this blue-collar trade bidness is driving me crazy! We're looking at other options. He's going to go back to school for either electrical apprenticeship, or he'll complete his associates and work on a bachelors in electrical engineering. I like the sound of that. The only issue is that Ibis isn't a huge fan of school. He's very intelligent, but doesn't do well in a classroom. I'd LOVE to go back to school. I can't believe I just wrote that. Ha ha ha! I would love to go to pastry school eventually to pursue opening a bakery at some point. Not for a while yet, though! So, we're just waiting on a couple of companies to get back to Ibis about starting work again and then we'll be able to decide our next course of action. I mentioned border patrol to him and he's agreeable, but they aren't accepting applications right now.

In other news, I have a couple of cake orders for this summer. A 4th birthday cake for a little girl in a princess theme. That will be fun. Also, my aunt and uncle are renewing their wedding vows and I'm making a two-tiered wedding cake for them with fondant. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

I have submitted an audition cd to LDS Auditions for Mormon Night at Dodgers Stadium in August. I needed to submit a cd of me singing the National Anthem (of course!) and one other song of my choosing. I came down with laryngitis the week before I needed to record my song. Of all the luck! But, because I was in an actual recording studio, there was magic! I was singing a cappella so I'd just sing one line....wait.....sing the next.....drink of water....sing the next, and so on. Then, he just spliced it all together. I tell ya, it was difficult to sing through the laryngitis. When I got to the other song I had to sing, I just used a previously recorded art song in French that I had from college. My voice has definitely matured and developed quite a bit from six years ago, but this cd was just to get a live audition. I put a disclaimer in my package of info to let them know that I was singing with laryngitis and that I'd love to sing live for them. Hope it works! The submission deadline was this Monday, so I had to record when I did.

The contest winner receives: $1500 award for singing the Star Spangled Banner at the game, VIP seating at the game, a chance to audition for Deseret Shadow Mountain Record Label, among other opportunities. So, I'm stoked that I might be able to be chosen for this opportunity. There will be 10 finalists who will also receive awards and will be asked to sing at various engagements throughout the contest period. We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Why am I not surprised that you actually recorded a song while having laryngitis?

    I'll be praying for you guys and hoping that things look up in the near future!

    LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete